In Years 1 and 2 Pupils should be taught to:
- Use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- Play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- Listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- Experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.
In Year 1 children can:
- I can use my voice to speak, sing and chant.
- I can use instruments to perform.
- I can clap short rhythmic patterns.
- I can make different sounds with my voice and with instruments.
- I can repeat short rhythmic and melodic patterns.
- I can make a sequence of sounds.
- I can respond to different moods in music.
- I can say whether I like or dislike a piece of music.
- I can choose sounds to represent different things.
- I can follow instructions about when to play and sing.