History & Geography Year 3
Year 3 Knowledge, skills and understanding in History
- Can they describe events and periods using the words: BC, AD and decade?
- Can they describe events from the past using dates when things happened?
- Can they describe events and periods using the words: ancient and century?
- Can they use a timeline within a specific time in history to set out the order things may have happened?
- Can they use their mathematical knowledge to work out how long ago events would have happened?
Knowledge and interpretation
- Do they appreciate that the early Brits would not have communicated as we do or have eaten as we do?
- Can they begin to picture what life would have been like for the early settlers?
- Can they recognise that Britain has been invaded by several different groups over time?
- Do they realise that invaders in the past would have fought fiercely, using hand to hand combat?
- Can they suggest why certain events happened as they did in history?
- Can they suggest why certain people acted as they did in history?
- Do they recognise the part that archaeologists have had in helping us understand more about what happened in the past?
- Can they use various sources of evidence to answer questions?
- Can they use various sources to piece together information about a period in history?
- Can they research a specific event from the past ?
- Can they use their ‘information finding’ skills in writing to help them write about historical information?
- Can they through research identify similarities and differences between given periods in history?
Year 3 Knowledge, skills and understanding in Geography
- Do they use correct geographical words to describe a place and the things that happen there?
- Can they identify key features of a locality by using a map?
- Can they begin to use a 4 figure grid references?
- Can they accurately plot NSEW on a map?
- Can they use some basic OS map symbols?
- Can they make accurate measurement of distances within 100Km?
- Can they use maps and atlases appropriately by using contents and indexes?
- Can they describe how volcanoes are created?
- Can they describe how earthquakes are created?
- Can they confidently describe physical features in a locality?
- Can they locate the Mediterranean and explain why it is a popular holiday destination?
- Can they recognise the 8 points of the compass (N,NW, W, S, SW, SE, E, NE)?
- Can they describe how volcanoes have an impact on people’s life?
- Can they confidently describe human features in a locality?
- Can they explain why a locality has certain human features?
- Can they explain why a place is like it is?
- Can they explain how the lives of people living in the Mediterranean would be different from their own?
- Can they name a number of countries in the Northern Hemisphere?
- Can they locate and name some of the world’s most famous volcanoes?
- Can they name and locate some well-known European countries?
- Can they name and locate the capital cities of neighbouring European countries?
- Are they aware of different weather in different parts of the world, especially Europe?