Computing at KS, Years 1 and 2.
Pupils should be taught to:
- Understand what algorithms are; how they are implemented as programs on digital devices; and that programs execute by following precise and unambiguous instructions
- Create and debug simple programs
- Use logical reasoning to predict the behaviour of simple programs
- Use technology purposefully to create, organise, store, manipulate and retrieve digital content
- Recognise common uses of information technology beyond school
- Use technology safely and respectfully, keeping personal information private; identify where to go for help and support when they have concerns about content or contact on the internet or other online technologies.
Year 1 children can:
Algorithms and programming
- I can create a series of instructions.
- I can plan a journey for a programmable toy.
- I can create digital content.
- I can store digital content.
- I can retrieve digital content.
- I can use a web site.
- I can use a camera.
- I can record sound and play back.
- I can use technology safely.
- I can keep personal information private.
Knowledge and understanding
- I understand the different methods of communication (e.g. email, online forums etc).
- I know you should only open email from a known source.
- I know the difference between email and communication systems such as blogs and wikis.
- I know that websites sometimes include pop-ups that take me away from the main site.
- I know that bookmarking is a way to find safe sites again quickly.
- I have begun to evaluate websites and know that everything on the internet is not true.
- I know that it is not always possible to copy some text and pictures from the internet.
- I know that personal information should not be shared online.
- I know I must tell a trusted adult immediately if anyone tries to meet me via the internet.
- I follow the school’s safer internet rules.
- I can use the search engines agreed by the school.
- I know what to do if I find something inappropriate online or something I am unsure of (including identifying people who can help; minimising screen; online reporting using school system etc).
- I can use the internet for learning and communicating with others, making choices when navigating through sites.
- I can send and receive email as a class.
- I can recognise advertising on websites and learn to ignore it.
- I can use a password to access the secure network.