Art and Design in Year 4:
Pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Year 4 Children can:
- I can show facial expressions and body language in sketches and paintings.
- I can use marks and lines to show texture in my art.
- I can use line, tone, shape and colour to represent figure and forms in movement.
- I can show reflections in my art.
- I can print onto different materials using at least four colours.
- I can sculpt clay and other mouldable materials.
- I can integrate my digital images into my art.
- I can experiment with the styles used by other artists.
- I can explain some of the features of art from historical periods.