Reading Recovery at Barlow Hall
Reading Recovery is a Reading and Writing intervention programme for children aged five or six (In Year 1 or 2) who are struggling to make the expected progress in class. This programme is designed to hopefully enable them to reach the age-expected levels usually within 12 to 20 weeks.
It involves a series of one-to-one lessons for 30 minutes every day with Mrs Mendieta, who is Barlow Hall’s specially trained teacher. The programme is different for every child, starting from what the child knows and what they needs to learn next. Right from the very start, the focus is on what “good readers and writers do”.
In every daily lesson the children work on the following:
- Reading a few specially chosen books
- Learning how to use letters and words
- Writing a short story
- Making a puzzle from their story to bring home
- Choosing a book to bring home.
- Phonics - every lesson includes learning about letters and sounds. Your child will learn about sounds in words and how to read and write them.