PE and Sport at KS2 Years 3, 4, 5 and 6
Pupils should continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They should enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They should develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils should be taught to:
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- Perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Swimming and water safety
Barlow Hall provides swimming instruction in years 3 and 4.
In particular, pupils should be taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
Year 4 children can:
- I can catch with one hand.
- I can throw and catch accurately.
- I can hit a ball accurately with control.
- I can keep possession of the ball.
- I can vary tactics and adapt skills depending on what is happening in a game.
- I can work in a controlled way.
- I can include change of speed and direction.
- I can include a range of shapes.
- I can work with a partner to create, repeat and improve a sequence with at least three phases.
- I can take the lead when working with a partner or group.
- I can use dance to communicate an idea.
- I can run over a long distance.
- I can sprint over a short distance.
- I can throw in different ways.
- I can hit a target.
- I can jump in different ways.
Outdoor and adventurous
- I can follow a map in a (more demanding) familiar context.
- I can follow a route within a time limit.