PE and Sport at KS2 Years 3, 4, 5 and 6
Pupils should continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They should enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They should develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils should be taught to:
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- Perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Swimming and water safety
Barlow Hall provides swimming instruction in years 3 and 4.
In particular, pupils should be taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
Year 3 children can:
- I can throw and catch with control.
- I am aware of space and use it to support team-mates and to cause problems for the opposition.
- I know and use rules fairly.
- I can adapt sequences to suit different types of apparatus and criteria.
- I can explain how strength and suppleness affect performance.
- I can compare and contrast gymnastic sequences.
- I can improvise freely and translate ideas from a stimulus into movement.
- I can share and create phrases with a partner and small group.
- I can repeat, remember and perform phrases.
- I can run at fast, medium and slow speeds; changing speed and direction.
- I can take part in a relay, remembering when to run and what to do.
Outdoor and adventurous
- I can follow a map in a familiar context.
- I can use clues to follow a route.
- I can follow a route safely.