In Years 1 and 2 Pupils should be taught to:
- Use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- Play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- Listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- Experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.
In Year 2 children can:
- I can sing and follow a melody.
- I can perform simple patterns and accompaniments keeping a steady pulse.
- I can play simple rhythmic patterns on an instrument.
- I can sing or clap increasing and decreasing tempo.
- I can order sounds to create a beginning, middle and an end.
- I can create music in response to different starting points.
- I can choose sounds which create an effect.
- I can use symbols to represent sounds.
- I can make connections between notations and musical sounds.
- I can listen out for particular things when listening to music.
- I can improve my own work.