History & Geography Year 5
Year 5 Knowledge, skills and understanding in History
- Can they use dates and historical language in their work?
- Can they draw a timeline with different time periods outlined which show different information, such as, periods of history, when famous people lived, etc.?
- Can they use their mathematical skills to work exact time scales and differences as need be?
Knowledge and interpretation
- Can they describe historical events from the different period/s they are studying/have studied?
- Can they make comparisons between historical periods; explaining things that have changed and things which have stayed the same?
- Can they explain the role that Britain has had in spreading Christian values across the world?
- Can they begin to appreciate that how we make decisions has been through a Parliament for some time?
- Do they appreciate that significant events in history has helped shape the country we have today?
- Do they have a good understanding as to how crime and punishment has changes over the years?
- Can they test out a hypothesis in order to answer a question?
- Do they appreciate how historical artefacts has helped us understand more about British lives in the present and past?
Year 5 Knowledge, skills and understanding in Geography
- Can they collect information about a place and use it in a report?
- Can they map land use?
- Can they find possible answers to their own geographical questions?
- Can they make detailed sketches and plans; improving their accuracy later?
- Can they plan a journey to a place in another part of the world, taking account of distance and time?
- Can they explain why many cities of the world are situated by rivers?
- Can they explain how a location fits into its wider geographical location; with reference to physical features?
- Can they explain how the water cycle works?
- Can they explain why water is such a valuable commodity?
- Can they explain why people are attracted to live by rivers?
- Can they explain how a location fits into its wider geographical location; with reference to human and economical features?
- Can they explain what a place might be like in the future, taking account of issues impacting on human features?
- Can they name and locate many of the world’s major rivers on maps?
- Can they name and locate many of the world’s most famous mountain regions on maps?
- Can they locate the USA and Canada on a world map and atlas?
- Can they locate and name the main countries in South America on a world map and atlas?