History & Geography Year 4
Year 4 Knowledge, skills and understanding in History
- Can they plot recent history on a timeline using centuries?
- Can they place periods of history on a timeline showing periods of time?
- Can they use their mathematical skills to round up time differences into centuries and decades?
Knowledge and interpretation
- Can they explain how events from the past has helped shape our lives?
- Do they appreciate that wars have happened from a very long time ago and it is often associated with invasion, conquering or religious differences?
- Do they know that people who lived in the past cooked and travelled differently and used different weapons from ours?
- Do they recognise that the lives of wealthy people were very different from those of poor people?
- Do they appreciate how items found belonging to the past are helping us to build up an accurate picture of how people lived in the past?
- Can they research two versions of an event and say how they differ?
- Can they research what it was like for a child in a given period from the past and use photographs and illustrations to present their findings?
- Can they give more than one reason to support an historical argument?
- Can they communicate knowledge and understanding orally and in writing and offer points of view based upon what they have found out?
Year 4 Knowledge, skills and understanding in Geography
- Can they carry out a survey to discover features of cities and villages?
- Can they find the same place on a globe and in an atlas?
- Can they label the same features on an aerial photograph as on a map?
- Can they plan a journey to a place in England?
- Can they accurately measure and collect information(e.g. rainfall, temperature, wind speed, noise levels etc.)?
- Can they describe the main features of a well-known city?
- Can they describe the main features of a village?
- Can they describe the main physical differences between cities and villages?
- Can they use appropriate symbols to represent different physical features on a map?
- Can they explain why people are attracted to live in cities?
- Can they explain why people may choose to live in a village rather than a city?
- Can they explain how a locality has changed over time with reference to human features?
- Can they find different views about an environmental issue? What is their view?
- Can they suggest different ways that a locality could be changed and improved?
- Can they locate the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn?
- Do they know the difference between the British Isles, Great Britain and UK?
- Do they know the countries that make up the European Union?
- Can they name up to six cities in the UK and locate them on a map?
- Can they locate and name some of main islands that surround the UK?
- Can they name the areas of origin of the main ethnic groups in the UK & in their school?