Expectations and Key Features of the curriculum for History and Geography Year 1
- People who live in hot and cold countries
- How the seasons and weather affect people
- Features of hot and cold places
- Seasonal change
In Geography a Year 1 child can:
- I can keep a weather chart and answer questions about the weather.
- I can explain where I live and tell someone my address.
- I can explain some of the main things that are in hot and cold places.
- I can explain the clothes that I would wear in hot and cold places.
- I can explain how the weather changes throughout the year and name the seasons.
- I can name the four countries in the United Kingdom and locate them on a map.
- I can name some of the main towns and cities in the United Kingdom.
- Changes within living memory: When parents were young
- Significant people from history
- Local history
In History a Year 1 child can:
- I can use words and phrases like: old, new and a long time ago.
- I can recognise that some objects belonged to the past.
- I can explain how I have changed since I was born.
- I can explain how some people have helped us to have better lives.
- I can ask and answer questions about old and new objects.
- I can spot old and new things in a picture.
- I can explain what an object from the past might have been used for