Art and Design in Year 3:
Pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Year 3 Children can:
- I can show facial expressions in my art.
- I can use sketches to produce a final piece of art.
- I can use different grades of pencil to shade and to show different tones and textures.
- I can create a background using a wash.
- I can use a range of brushes to create different effects in painting.
- I can identify the techniques used by different artists.
- I can use digital images and combine with other media in my art.
- I can use IT to create art which includes my own work and that of others.
- I can compare the work of different artists.
- I recognise when art is from different cultures.
- I recognise when art is from different historical periods.