Art and Design in Year 1:
In Year 1 and 2 in Art Pupils should be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Year 1 Children can:
- I can show how people feel in paintings and drawings.
- I can create moods in art work.
- I can use pencils to create lines of different thickness in drawings.
- I can name the primary and secondary colours.
- I can create a repeating pattern in print.
- I can cut, roll and coil materials.
- I can use IT to create a picture.
- I can describe what I can see and give an opinion about the work of an artist.
- I can ask questions about a piece of art.
In Year 1 and 2 in Design Pupils should be taught:
When designing and making, pupils should be taught to:
- Design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users based on design criteria
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates, mock-ups and, where appropriate, information and communication technology
- Select from and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks [for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing]
- Select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their characteristics
- Explore and evaluate a range of existing products
- Evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
- Build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable
- Explore and use mechanisms [for example, levers, sliders, wheels and axles], in their products.
In cooking and nutrition at KS1
Pupils should be taught to:
Key stage 1
- Use the basic principles of a healthy and varied diet to prepare dishes
- Understand where food comes from.
Year 1 children can:
- I can use my own ideas to make something.
- I can describe how something works.
- I can cut food safely.
- I can make a product which moves.
- I can make my model stronger.
- I can explain to someone else how I want to make my product.
- I can choose appropriate resources and tools.
- I can make a simple plan before making.